1. Which section of the Los Angeles Municipal Code regulates street banners?

Answer:   Section 62.132 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code.

2.  Who may install banner?

Answer:    Any entity, organization or individual complying with ordinance requirements.

3.  What is required for a person and/or a company to install banners in the City?

Answer:    Liability Insurance coverage in the amount of $500,000 and Cash or a Bond in the amount of $1,200 on deposit with the Bureau of Street Lighting.  A list of authorized banner companies is available at Bureau of Street Lighting upon request.

4.  How far in advance should banner applications be submitted?

Answer:    Minimum ten working days in advance of event date.

5.  Are the locations requested guaranteed?

Answer:    No.

6.  What are the fees to install banners?

Answer:    See non-waivable fee schedule for banner installation.

7.  How long does it take to process an application?

Answer:    Ten business days if there are no controversial issues associated with issuance of the permit.

8.  What happens when there is insufficient funding in the debit account?

Answer:    The use of the banner permitting systems requires opening a debit account.  Banner Company is notified and no permit is issued until the account is sufficiently funded.

9.  In what order are applications approved?

Answer:    On a first come first served basis the Bureau of Street Lighting shall determine priority for approval for requested locations by the date of receipt of application for a permit.

10.  Can picture for artwork of the banner be submitted after the permit has been approved?

Answer:    No, it must accompany the application.

11. What if I need to change a location or the date?

Answer:    You must notify Bureau of Street Lighting at (213) 847-1451 between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. prior to the issuance of the permit.

12. How much time do I have to take down the banners?

Answer:    Banners shall be removed within 72 hours of the expiration date on the permit. Unless otherwise stated removal activities shall not take place between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. or between 3:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

13. Do I still need council district approval?

Answer:    No.

14. Can banners be installed on wooden utility pole?

Answer:    Yes.  Written approval from affected utility company is required.

15. Can I have the fees waived?

Answer:    No.  Fees are not waivable.  Non-refundable application fees is required for all applicants except for City sponsored events.

16. How long may banners be displayed?

Answer:    Various display periods for various types of events range from 30 to 90 days for the initial permit.

17. Can banners be used as directional signage?

Answer:    No.  Directional signage is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation.

18. Are apartment dwellings considered single-family residences?

Answer:    No.

19. Where in the City may I install banners?

Answer:    At authorized and approved pole locations within the City.  (Not on street trees, on city streets/roadways of 84 feet or more in width or on streets where adjoining land use is primarily residential).

20.  Are balloons or other decorations allowed?

Answer:    Balloons are not permitted; however seasonal decorations are.

21.  What is the maximum size of a banner?

Answer:    24 square feet.

22.  Who do I contact for approval to install banners on State Highways?

Answer:    CalTrans. (Approved encroachment permit is required).

23.      Can I install a banner on private property?

Answer:    Not without written authorization from the property owner.

24.      What is the difference in a pull-down banner and an overhead banner?


1.    Pull-down - A banner suspended over the public sidewalk or roadway, attached to a single electrolier.

2.   Overhead - A banner suspended over the public roadway attached at both ends to an electrolier, outdoor advertising structure or building(s).

25.      What is a seasonal decoration?

Answer:    Any decoration that is not a banner.

26.     What is a Business Improvement District (BID)?

Answer:    An Organization that has a determination of exemption from Federal Income Tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501(c)6 of the Internal Revenue Code.  A copy of the determination letter must accompany the application.

27.      What is a Charitable Organization?

Answer:    An organization that has the determination of exemption from Federal Income Tax as an organization described in the Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3).  A copy of the determination letter must accompany the application.

28.      What is a Nonprofit Organization?

Answer:    An organization that is incorporated or otherwise organized as a nonprofit organization pursuant to the laws of the State of California or the United States.  Documentation supporting nonprofit status must accompany the application.